Neilson Hays Library Set for Another Book Sale
The popular book sale, scaled down amid COVID-19-related restrictions, will run between October 30 and November 7. All proceeds go to the upkeep of the landmark building and library’s educational and arts programs.
The Neilson Hays Library is thrilled to announce that it will be able to hold its popular book sale. Unfortunately, it can not host the normal bi-annual book sale during a weekend in November due to COVID-19 virus risks. Instead, it will hold a smaller book sale between Saturday, October 30 and Sunday, November 7 from 9:30-16:00 (closed Monday, November 1) inside the library building.
Book sale visitors are invited to browse and buy from the selection of fiction and non-fiction books in English and Thai, as well as a selection of books in French and German, donated by Neilson Hays Library supporters or withdrawn from the library shelves. Whether your book preference is science fiction, thrillers, art, science or philosophy, the library has something for you. There is also a selection for kids and some stunning old and rare books. Prices start at only 20 baht.
The library has received an incredible donation of classical music CDs and DVDs from a Bangkok classical music critic. These will also be for sale. A list of these 3,000 CDs has been generated and can be requested via [email protected] There are some amazing recordings.
Because of the limited space, the only books for sale at any point are the ones that are out in the library space. Staff will replenish books daily as space opens up on the tables. So better to come in a few times while it is open rather than coming once and expecting to see everything. Unfortunately, staff cannot go and find specific books or genres from the boxes in the back. Visitors are encouraged to bring their own bags in order to help reduce waste, or Neilson Hays Library tote bags can be purchased from the cashier.
Only 50 people will be allowed inside the library at any one time. At busy times, guests may be asked to wait outside to prevent overcrowding, but staff will endeavour to ensure that all guests are served quickly.
The following measures will be in place to protect from COVID-19:
- Each member or visitor must self-check their body temperature at the library entryway. The temperature checker is set up on a stand inside the library door. Put your palm out for the sensor to check your temperature. If it’s too high, (over 37.5 Celsius), the machine will sound an alarm. An elevated temperature could be caused by the high temperature outside, so please wait a few minutes to cool down then recheck your temperature. If it is still over 37.5, you will not be permitted to enter.
- Please be mindful of other people’s health and don’t visit the library if you feel unwell.
- Each member or visitor must wear a mask at all times while inside the library.
- No food or drink is allowed inside the library.
- Hand sanitiser will be provided at the entrance to the library and at the book issuing desk. This must be used upon entering and exiting the library. We ask that if you choose to wear gloves, that you sanitise or replace your gloves on entering the building.
- Each member or visitor to the library must sign in and out either through scanning the library’s QR code, or on the library’s sign-in sheet. Entry and exit times must be recorded.
- We ask that you socially distance from other library visitors and staff.
- The library will be cleaned throughout the day (surfaces/ door knobs/ bathrooms) and thoroughly cleaned every evening.
If you have any unwanted books or magazines to contribute to the sale, please drop them off at the library between 9:30-17:00 Tuesday to Sunday. All proceeds go towards the upkeep of the landmark building and the library’s educational and arts programs.
If you would like to volunteer to help during the book sale please contact [email protected]
For more information, please call 02-233-1731, email [email protected] or visit the Neilson Hays Library’s website or Facebook page.
Neilson Hays Library
195 Surawong Rd, Bangkok
Tel: 02 233 1731
[Click for Map Link]
Closest Public Transit:
Chong Nonsi (BTS Silom Line) — Sam Yan (MRT) — Surawong Buses 1, 16, 36, 45, 75, 93, 187 (Bus stop in front of the library) — Thanon Pan bus stop on Silom Road