SHAKEN & STIRRED: Saimai’s “Gin Mule” at ABar Rooftop
Rising-star mixologist Saimai Nantarat from ABar Rooftop at Bangkok Marriott Marquis Queen’s Park showcases her refreshing recipe for a Thai-influenced gin mule cocktail.
A new column spotlighting top local mixologists’ favourite drink recipes
With temperatures soaring, there’s no better way to cool down than with a refreshing gin drink. International Gin Day was celebrated earlier this month, and even though bars in Bangkok were closed, plenty of us observed the holiday in our own way at home. And what better cocktail is there to turn to when you’re feeling thirsty than the perennial crowd-pleaser, the gin mule?
Young and beautiful Saimai Nantarat is a rising-star mixologist who already boasts a wealth of experience in Thailand’s food and beverage scene. In 2016, she became the head bartender at Highball Bangkok, the Thai branch of the novel, all-female-run Highball Singapore. Two years later, Saimai won the Southeast Asia Regional Liquid Master Competition 2018 and finished in the Top 5 at the Campari Bartender Competition. Saimai is here today to guide you step-by-step on how to make the perfect gin mule at home.
– Gin 45ml
– Kaffir lime syrup 15ml
– Lime juice 10ml
– Tonic water 90ml
– A slice of dehydrated lemon for garnish
– 2-3 kaffir lime leaves for garnish
Syrup ingredients (in case you want to make it yourself):
* Bergamot peel 50g
* Sugar 1kg
* Water 1L
* Kaffir lime leaves 150g
Method for syrup:
1. Add bergamot peel to sugar and leave for a couple of hours; add water and kaffir lime leaves and slowly bring to a boil.
2. Remove from heat and leave to cool and infuse for approximately 4 hours.
3. Strain into a swing-top glass bottle and store in the fridge until ready to use.
*The infused syrup will keep fresh in the fridge for up to 10 days.
1. Squeeze lime juice into a copper mug.
2. Add kaffir lime syrup.
3. Add ice cubes.
4. Add gin and fill with cold tonic water.
5. Garnish with dehydrated lemon and kaffir lime leaves.
For more, check out:
Bangkok Marriott Marquis Queen’s Park, 199 Sukhumvit Soi 22, Klong Tan, Klong Toey, Bangkok 10110. Tel: 0 2059 5555.
ABar Rooftop – 38th floor of Bangkok Marriott Marquis Queen’s Park