ONE CHEF, ONE RECIPE: Chef Nooror of Blue Elephant – “Turmeric Chicken Soup”
A flavourful turmeric chicken soup with nipa palm vinegar from the chef behind the world-famous Blue Elephant restaurants.
Chef Nooror Somany Steppe has established her name not only for her original and historical knowledge of Thai cuisine, but also for her ready-mixed recipes of Thai sauces, curry pastes and powders, which are now produced and exported to more than 38 countries through the Blue Spice Co., Ltd., a member of the Blue Elephant International Group.
Today, Chef Nooror will show Bangkok 101 readers how to cook a fragrant bowl of turmeric chicken soup. Rich with vegetables and herbs, this dish is a perfect accompaniment to any Thai meal—or it even stands on its own as a main course.
Chicken Turmeric Soup with Nipa Palm Vinegar
100 grams Chicken thigh (cut into small dice)
1½ cup Chicken stock
Vegetables & Herbs:
10 grams Shallot (crushed)
3 grams Galangal
5 grams Coriander root (crushed)
5 pieces Bird’s eye chilli (crushed)
2 pieces Saw coriander leaves
1 stalk Lemongrass
2 leaves Kaffir lime leaves (torn)
1 inch Fresh turmeric (crushed)
1 inch Ginger (crushed)
3 pieces Garcinia cambogia
1 tablespoon Fish sauce
1 tablespoon Tamarind juice
1 teaspoon Sugar
½ tablespoon Lime juice
½ tablespoon Nipa palm vinegar
1. In a saucepan on medium heat: Add chicken stock and bring to a boil.
2. Crush all herbs and together with garcinia cambogia, add them to boiling stock and continue boiling for about 1 minute.
3. Add chicken thigh and keep on boiling until the chicken is cooked.
4. Add seasoning: fish sauce, sugar, nipa palm vinegar and tamarind juice. Mix well.
5. Add bird’s eye chilli and saw coriander leaves, then turn off the heat. Add lime juice last. Take the coriander root and garcinia cambogia out before serving.
6. Transfer to a serving bowl.
For more on Blue Elephant:
Blue Elephant Cooking School & Restaurant Bangkok, BTS station, 233 S Sathon Rd, Yan Nawa Sathon, Surasak, Bangkok 10120
*Food delivery is now available from Blue Elephant in Bangkok.
Tel: 0 2673 9354
(Blue Elephant also has locations in Phuket, Malta and Copenhagen.)